Sunday 9 October 2016

9th October 1936 - Terrick to Mary

Wensley Rectory
Leyburn
Yorkshire

9th October 1936


My Darling Girl,

I hope you were thinking of me at all the times I was thinking of you yesterday - and to-day.

The journey was very good.  I had a middle seat as I had to reserve in advance - I always find myself a corner - but it had arms on each side and was very comfortable.  The whole train is silvered and very well upholstered inside. We averaged 71.65 m.p.h. to Darlington which was the only stop.  In the compartment we had one non-descript man, a sailor, two drunk Seaforth Highlanders and a quiet pompous-looking businessman reading business papers.  The two Scotsmen went to sleep before the train left King's X and one of them sank gently onto the businessman's shoulder.  His expression of disdain and disgust was a scream.  He kept jolting the soldier who at last rocked over onto his friend.

We got to Darlington at 8.45, three minutes ahead of time.  I had to wait ¾ hour as my father was preaching at the Harvest Thanksgiving at Bedale.  We got home just after half past ten, had supper, talked & went to bed.

I have just had my porridge-and-cream breakfast.  My mother is fattening me up so I have also had two herrings, an egg and two rolls.

It is Fair Day at Leyburn to-day so I'll post this letter there.  The Wensley morning post has been made earlier.

Already I have had a political argument as a result of the Daily Mail's attitude to the Spanish War.  I forgot that it is a waste of time.  I'll just sit an listen for the rest of the holiday.

How much nicer everything would be if you were here!  I have got your photo beside my bed, but it is not as satisfactory as the original.

This letter is to be instead of me for this week-end.  I reach out my heart to you and kiss you, my darling friend.

Oh Mary, I do look forward to the time when I shall not go off by myself but with you there to make life double.

All my love

Your Terrick

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment