Saturday 1 October 2016

1st October 1936 - Mary to Terrick

School

Oct 1st 1936

My very own dearest one- I have just got 20 minutes before the gong goes for dinner - & after that I go off to Shakespeare - so it is now or never that I must write this letter to you today.  It isn't really to say anything important because I can't imagine what I'm going to put next.  I only know that every empty minute, every blank moment of my days are filled with the wary thought that I shall have to go without seeing you for 12 days.  Dearest dear, I'm such a helpless fool - you would laugh and be just a bit cross with yourself for loving me, if you could only understand what a tremendous capacity I have for "missing" you.  I am so frightfully lucky to see you as much as I do - perhaps that's why I so often feel that we have really been married for a long time.  But I have grown to rely on seeing you so much, that it makes my heart rumble away inside me to think of your going such a long way away without me.  Perhaps it will be better when you have really gone, & when I can think of all the good your porridge & cream are doing you - and of how much you are enjoying it - but just now it seams like immeasurable distance until I wait on Kings X platform to meet your train in.

I loved yesterday evening & walking back through the park with you.  I was thinking today that the better you got to know a person the less you talked to each other - which seems such a pity - do you think when we're married we shall only remark on everyday things? - and what time we're going out or coming in etc?  Because I used to discuss this & that with you far more than I do now (to keep up your interest!)

- It is nearly time for me to go - & I haven't really told you anything in this letter yet - but it makes me feel a bit better even to think of your getting this in the morning.  Do you think you could just send me something, to show you had thought of me, nearly every day, when you're at Wensley?

- My darling heart - you mean so much to me - not only as a lover - but as the most perfect friend a woman could ever have.  To think that one day we shall spend our whole lives together, makes all these times of separation seem shorter - I love you and want you by me for always so very, very much - 

Your

Mary Pleasant

No comments:

Post a Comment