Thursday 27 October 2016

27th October 1936 - Mary to Terrick

My darling - it is very wrong of me to write this - but I've come to the end of things to do in the office and I've been thinking.

It's Matron's wedding day - she was being married at 12 o'clock & the reception is at an hotel in Earl's Court - I do so wish I could have gone.  I seem to take such a melancholy delight in weddings!! It was funny seeing her yesterday - and thinking she would belong to another family by tomorrow - and that when she talked about "going home" she would be going to another place - and that if she cut her finger or was sick on the carpet there wouldn't be anybody "grown-upper" than herself to clear it up or look after her.

If you ever got a pain suddenly and went as white as a sheet - what should I do?  I think perhaps if it wasn't you I should know at once & put you them to bed & send for a doctor - but with you - I think I should have a pain myself and go as white as a sheet too! - and that wouldn't be much good.

Animals leave their mothers when they're still babies and learn to fend for themselves while they're young, but we go on and on letting our mothers bind up our fingers and hold our heads over basins and buy us cough lozenges, until we want suddenly to break away to look after somebody else.  I think I must take some courses in everything - so that by the time you marry me I'm a hard-headed experienced middle aged woman fit for the responsibilities that go with looking after a man like you.

Miss Cross liked your letter very much - she has since been saying every few minutes what a pity we can't live in the cottage rent free!!! Quite mad, but dearly so.

The rehearsal went well last night, Mr Eriksen came in to listen & buttonholed Hoch afterwards.  I heard him telling her that as sure as we were here now Russia would be at war with the rest of the continent soon and he didn't think England could keep out of it for long.  I hate people who state facts like that as if they knew!  He also told us of the best crit he'd read on Anthony & Cleopatra - which had said now was the time to decide whether Bacon or Shakespeare wrote the plays by  paying a visit to the tomb of each & finding out which was the most disturbed!!

Kathleen says only 4 were at Cookery on Friday - so I must go this week - (the mistress asked K where her "attractive" friend was!!!)


*          *          *          *

Miss X has just come in with all news about Matron.  She looked very nice & everything went well - she couldn't wear anything under her dress it fitted her so well! Miss X dressed her to go away afterwards & everybody made a horrible mess with confetti.  The smallest boarder here was a bridesmaid.  They drive to Bournemouth tonight & on to Torquay tomorrow.

Grannie isn't very well - so I don't know whether I shall be able to go to tea with her tomorrow - anyway I shall knit wherever I am! - & I shall be at the office at 5.45.

- All my love till then, my dearest dear - I'm afraid I'm a bit of a coward sometimes.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment