Wednesday 12 October 2016

12th October 1936 - Mary to Terrick

O.V.S.
Oct 12th 

My very dearest One, why I'm writing to you again today is beyond me - but I've been looking forward to doing it all this afternoon.  You see Monday is usually the first day I start looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday - so I'm doing this instead.  Wensleydale gets about a hundred miles further away every 24 hours - and every 20 miles you grow more and more perfect!  Today has been as if it just ran straight on after Friday.  The only time in my life now when I have a real holiday or rest, is when I'm with you.  All the other times I fill in feverishly with something else to stop me missing you.

We had an amazing day yesterday.  We all cycled to Shepperton station to catch the 2.42 & saw the train moving out as we came round the corner (Jack saying I looked like a monk on a donkey!) So we sat on the platform being thoroughly ridiculous for half an hour.  The twins getting into carriages & pulling all the blinds down & making Graham cycle backwards & forwards to Dunally to get newspapers & books & wool & apples.  We eventually got to Belgrave Court, Chiswick, Freda & George & a few others were there too.  I did so wish you had been with me because it was so interesting.  It's a very nice flat taken by itself - but I think it's horrid having to look out on hundreds of back windows just like your own & prambulators etc. - & all the drain pipes going up outside.  I've come to the conclusion I'd almost rather live in a large converted house with big rooms looking out on a small garden.  They have a bedroom about the size of Jack's, very nicely done in lovely walnut - 2 single beds pushed together - h& c - but not much room to walk in; a kitchen the size of our scullery - complact but cramped; a small lounge with the only fireplace (all very nicely centrally heated - no expense) & book case, spare bedroom - & dining room furnished with most lovely birchwood refectory table & side-board - all very Norweigan - with chairs copied from a 16th century one they saw somewhere.


I wasn't a bit envious - it's not really what I want at all - although very nice in its way.

Heavens - your family will think you're about to introduce a mad woman into the family, who can write 4 pages on two consecutive days.  I feel a bit surprised myself.

I must go now and change for dinner - I've been taking prep. all this time.

I love you very very much - & it's all I can do these days to think of waiting for you till next Spring - let alone next Autumn - it would spoil the wedding a bit if they had to fetch me from an Institution for Broken Spirits, wouldn't it?

A week today & you'll be getting nearer & nearer.  I shall manage to live till then - but in what manner is a matter for anxious conjecture.

My dearest - I send you my heart - 

your Mary Pleasant
                           xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment