Thursday 13 October 2016

13th October 1936 - Mary to Terrick

OVS
Tuesday

Darling - This, I'm sure you will agree, is not only touching - but demonstrates the great feeling & esteem in which I hold you - (as well as a slight softening of the brain).  I can't help writing to you, any more than I can help phoning you sometimes on the most weak excuses.  It's just the nearest I can get to you for half an hour once a day.  I have put off writing until fairly late because I thought a letter might come by this evening's post - but it hasn't.  (I think perhaps you have forgotten me after all.)

I most rashly invested in a 2/- recipe book today to write my apple-pie & Yorkshire pudding in - the Staff are afraid I'm taking "this marriage business" too seriously!

We had an awful rehearsal last night - (in comparison with Sunday) Smith is so soft with everybody - & only about 6 turned up.  His ideas are so old-fashioned - & you must have personality to produce properly - which he certainly hasn't.  Every time Lorenzo had something romantic to say to Jessica, Smith says "turn your toes out so, and rest one hand on her shoulder"!!  It's all I can do to hold my suggestions in as it is.  But I did jokingly tell him at the end that the only way you  could get their love over to the audience was to have them facing each other squarely!!  They haven't got a Bassanio yet yet at all - and I doubt (even with my acting ability!) if I can get enough love into Portia's lines with him, if they decide on just anybody.

I have just phoned Ren. but he wasn't in - so I left the message asking him down next weekend.

Every time the 'phone goes I think it may be a long distance from Wensley - you in expansive mood - & today is the last evening I shall be in after 7 this week - except Friday when I get in at 9.40 after cooking.

We have got to queue for the Old Vic. tomorrow - every seat is booked - think of us eating our oranges in the "gods" for 6d.

Of course, I should really be getting on with your jumper now instead of simply wasting yours & my time in filling space because I don't want to let you go. - Oh, my dearest one this is most awful - the days are dragging interminably.  Life without being able to see and talk to you is the most dreary thing I can imagine.  My heart aches already and there's another whole week to go yet.  Four weeks ago this week was Fort William - four weeks ago tomorrow night was the most wonderful night of my life - oh, why, why, why can't I live with you now for always? - everything seems so insignificant compared with having each other.

- Oh my darling I love you until I hurt myself with the immenseness of it - I'm swallowed up in the tide of it - I'm losing my reason with the very unreasonableness of it - and if you ever find it in your heart to leave me for more than 7 days again, I shall come with you.

- Please want me so much that you can't live without me.

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment