Sunday 30 October 2016

30th October 1936 - Terrick to Mary

35 Nevern Place 

30th October 1936


My dear little girl,

How are you enjoying yourself with your girls? I am sitting at my desk waiting until it is time to go to Aunt Mildred's and trying to pretend that writing to you is as good as seeing  you.

I can't ask for Wednesday afternoon off until after the weekend as if I did it before the S.M. might say I could take it instead of Saturday morning which would defeat the whole object of my not coming to see you tomorrow.

I was out of the office practically all day - in the morning I went to see a French woman journalist about a French military band.  I was given the wrong address & so had a long search before I could find her.  Then she wasn't in so I made an appointment for 4 p.m. At 2.30 I had to be at London Bridge Station to do some detective work about one of our reps, and I was kept there until it was time to go to the journalist again.  It was beastly hot and I got a bit disagreeable with myself.

The first Poly dance has not had the response we hoped, unless people are going to buy tickets at the door, and so the staff are being encouraged to come & bring their friends free.  It is really only an "evening dress" optional dance but if I get a large enough party together I am going to get them to come in full evening dress.  With Jack's friends, and Paul's and Renny & his partner I hope to have about twenty.  It won't hurt you to miss a class.  You can always learn how to cook the thing you missed at home.

____________________________________


After dinner

Aunt Mildred & Uncle George send you their love & say that you must come another evening.  Aunt Mildred said that when Mummy went to lunch there she (Aunt M) asked her if she mentioned the engagement while she was at Shepperton, & when she said no, told her she jolly well ought to have.

Uncle George has given me an old carriage clock of his which I have put on the mantelpiece.  We shall now have an extra reminder of when it is 11 p.m.

Remember me to Miss Cross and when you get grumpy because I am not with you remember that I am scribbling away like steam to the end that we may be together for always.  No other inducement could have kept me from you.

Goodnight, petootie.  Think of me, and love me, as I love you.  The day will come when we shall not have to wait to see each other.

All my thoughts and hopes are in your keeping.

Terrick

        XXX


Tomorrow night is Hallowe'en.  Dream of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment