Wednesday 17 August 2016

17th August 1936 - Mary to Terrick

Dunally

Aug 17th ' 36


Darling - my conscience has smitten me most horribly all today to think of you trying to keep your eyes open over all the Monday complaints - while I have been sunbathing and doing nothing.  I have thought of you nearly all the time - & wishing I could come & help you.  I don't think I'm as lazy as i used to be, because this having nothing particular to do day after day is much more wearing than tearing about all day at school.

I had a nice letter from Miss Cross this morning - saying she is bathing 3 times a day at Ringstead - and asking how you were.  I have written to Eileen (getting all the news in before you!) saying you would send her a photograph of Hamels - and I've also written to the Shakespeare society saying it has been necessary for me to book up at a hotel for my mother & myself for Sept 11th! I expect I shall have a letter back sometime this week.

Mummy says it will be quite all right for you to come next week - & I may teach you to drive in the car!  So you'd better get your licence before the weekend.  I expect you'll have to go to the L.C.C. building the other side of Westminster Bridge.

I hear that next Wednesday Mummy wants me to take her up to Auntie Bee's for the day - & as there's nowhere she can go in town for the evening I must take her back & shan't be able to see you.  What about Thursday? - or if not, tomorrow (Tuesday)

- Oh I do hope you're not absolutely worn out this evening - and that you go to bed nice and early - I wish I was there to tuck you up - but it's a good job I'm not.

Thank you over & over again for the perfect weekend - I can't thank you nearly as much as I want to - but would you please let me know how much  still owe you, besides about 1/10 for the film - because I know I was a continual drain on the resources - and if perhaps you could wait a bit for it, as I am rather poor, it would be very kind of you.

I don't, even now, know how I can wait until Thursday - but I always was a bit fond & foolish -

Every bit of my love, my dearest heart,

Mary Pleasant xxx

P.S. Mummy wants to know if you can suggest a way of getting an advertisement into a New York paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment