Saturday 13 August 2016

13th August 1936 - Terrick to Mary

35 Nevern Place 
S.W.5


13th August 1936


Dear Heart, 

I have put some life into my pen by dipping it in the red ink that I have.  After the read wears off the moisture seems to produce old ink off the sides of the pen.

I am sitting in a pub having a drink, and surprising you.

While I was in Ostend last week I got a News Chronicle & read an article that I kept for you, & forgot on Wednesday.  Every Saturday an article is appearing supposed to be by a girl who has just got engaged reporting the progress of her engagement.  last week was getting to know his relations.  The cartoon a the top showed the fiance looking rather like me.  Get the News Chronicle this Saturday for the 3rd article.

The bell has just gone for us to clear out.

Paul goes to the Lake District for his holiday this Saturday.  I should like to go to Fort William.  My heart leaps up inside me when I see pictures of the highlands.  It is a queer feeling.  A cottage in the highlands to retire to for rest and quiet with you, overlooking the Bay of Morar and the islands of Muck & Rum.  I have never known a place to affect me in such a way before or since.

Alas that we must die!  Shall I ever grow resigned to the idea.  I am so happy and have so much to look forward to.

Just got back & seen your message, have asked for your number.

Your roses are now perfectly lovely; they are opening wider every minute.

Ha ha! so all is fixed! Cheers! I am so bucked.

If the post is too heavy in the morning for me to go to Belgium, I'll ring you in the lunch hour.

All my love Terrick

No comments:

Post a Comment