Thursday 11 August 2016

11th August 1936 - Mary to Terrick

Dunally

Aug 11th

After Tea

Dearest old thing - this is just because I haven't anything much to do  & I thought I'd better tell you about tomorrow.  If you really don't think you'll be home before 8.  I rather thought I would go & see the Informer at Sloane Square.  I'm starting off with ?? after lunch & going to help her buy a coat in Kensington- then she's going foo to meed Dearlove & I thought I'd leave the care outside 35. and catch a train to Sl. Sq from E's Ct. in time for the film which starts at 4.25. - & the programme should be over by 7.45, so I should be back with you by 8.  But if you have the slightest feeling you may get off earlier, do ring me up before lunch - because I'd far rather wait & spend the extra time with you.

- It was so nice to hear your voice again yesterday - Did you remember to write to your rep at Innsbruck about Helen? because as her mother drove off on Friday she said how kind it was of you - it had taken a great load off her mind!

I spoke to Norah over the phone on Saturday - I've never heard anyone sound so well & full of energy.  The get to the shop at 8.am & serve customers until as late as 10.30 at night - (getting off orders I suppose).  They took £123 on Bank Holiday Monday & £113 last Saturday - altogether they took about £430 in the week!!  They want £2000 more capital from somewhere, so they're selling shares at 6%.  (I bet it's all Norah's money making instincts!)

I should simply love - love - to go to Belgium with you next weekend, but I'm really so poor that I'm afraid it would be rather hair-brained - specially as I probably shouldn't be able to bathe!  Are you absolutely sure you'll have to go?

I can't think of anything more to say so I shall have to stop.

I'm longing for tomorrow so much that I don't think it will ever come.

All my love

"Mary Pleasant Ormiston
"Saunton
"Christchurch Road,
"East Sheen  S.W. 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment