Sunday 7 August 2016

7th August 1936 - Terrick to Mary

On the 14.50 Train
Victoria to Dover

7th August 1936


Darling Heart,

This is the first opportunity I have had of sitting down and writing to you.  On Wednesday I met my mother at the station.  She was very weak but much better than I had expected.  In the evening I was working late but I went round to her club afterwards for coffee & liqueurs.  She went to bed at about ten.  Yesterday I had dinner with her & she was already much perkier. She had booked seats for "Love From a Stranger".  If I had known she was going to be as well as that I would have had you up to meet her again.

I have got sixty odd very Polyish Poly clients to take over to various parts of Belgium.  After dropping off most of the party at Ostend I go on with the next to Bruges & then come back to Ostend for the night.

And that  reminds me; will you  do me a great favour? Or if you can't manage it yourself will you ring J.C. Eno's during the morning and ask Paul to do it?

This morning I put my passport into the pocket of my tweed overcoat when it was lying on the bed, but now, on the train, I find it is not there, so it must have gone right through - you know the kind of pocket it is.  If so the passport will be in my room.  I will wangle myself into Belgium but it will save a dickens of a lot of trouble if the passport can be brought out to me, so will you take an envelope to Earl's Court on Saturday, put the passport in it and address it to me c/o The Polytechnic Representative, Hotel Royal Astor, Ostend, and take it to Victoria Station, continental departing platform and hand it to one of our men for the conductor of the 14.30 train (2.30pm) to bring over to me.  Don't of course say that it is a passport.  if you can't do this will you ring Paul & ask him to do it when he gets out of business at 1pm?  It will be a great help if you can and I shall be most grateful.  If Renny were here he could do it easily.

Excuse this writing; it is the train.  I am in a 1st class compartment at the tail end & it is swaying a lot.

Thank you very much for your wonderful letter.  It was the nicest I have ever had.  I do wish you were with me.

I must stop! We are just passing Folkestone race course & it is not far from there to Dover.  I'll post this at Dover.

I am awfully sorry to be a nuisance about the passport, but it is easier to wangle out of the country than into it.

Goodbye dear.  I'll write to you again from Belgium.

your own 

Terrick

No comments:

Post a Comment