Thursday 22 September 2016

22nd September 1936 - Mary to Terrick

In bed   O.V.S.

Tuesday


My very own dearest heart - it is 10.45pm and my eyes can hardly hold themselves up and my legs feel as if they had just been up & down our Glen Nevis Mountain.  There is always a tremendous lot to do in this place, but there's ten times as much ton the last few days of the holidays.  So as this seemed likely to be the only time I have to call my own for the rest of this week - it was imperative that I wrote to you in it.

I am afraid I have many more moments of "pang" to go through until this week is over - every vacant minute I think of last week and all we did - Today it was Morar - and the sand and rocks and clear pea and fairy islands in the distance.  Lonely bays - and winding road and tea at Ausay and lying in the heather waiting for the train - Oh no, it wasn't, that was really Monday   - Tuesday was the Mamore Forest - and finding our path - down to Loch Leven - and the Rock - and tea by the Ferry.  I have been humming "The Road to the Isles" & wishing I had the words & then I remembered, of course, I've got them on the back of a sheet of note paper you once started a letter to me on by mistake - I must find it over the weekend.

I have just done 2 rows of your pull-over - but I shall seize every opportunity to get it finished as soon as I can.  It makes such a difference to make something for you.

It seems that not being enrolled for the cookery class was all for the best it will save me fares in Richmond as well.  But thank you very much for trying for me.

I posted the invitation to your mother this morning.  I do hope she'll come - although the house will just be half-way done up.  What shall we do about getting home after Joan's dinner party? - I don't know whether they'll let us have the car - but they may do.  I thought you were going to the theatre with your mother then?  Tell Ren we're expecting him to come down too on Sunday, won't you?

If you come to Ealing on Friday - it would be lovely to meet you in Richmond afterwards - you get on a 65 Bus at Ealing Broadway Station and get off at the Richmond - just to make it a bit nearer to seeing you again. I am afraid last week spoilt me out of all recognition - your picture beside me doesn't seem to help at all now - (please will you have a big one taken for my Christmas present?).

All the dear things about you that I love, I miss more than I can say - the curl outside your beret - your knobbly knees and hairy legs - the way you polish your glasses and tie your shoelaces - your solemn look when you're thinking out your story - oh, everything makes my heart ache to hold you tight to me in your pyjamas - and feel how hard and stalwart you are.

- My darling heart I love and want you so - and I can't keep my eyes open any longer - so I'm going to shut them tight & pretend it all over again.

- All my love for always your 

Mary Pleasant


P.S. Couldn't we see that Irish film here on Friday if you could get to Richmond before 8?

P.PS. When exactly do you  go for your holiday again? - Because I find the 14th is a Wednesday - not a Sat.


No comments:

Post a Comment