Saturday 28 March 2015

28th March 1935 - Terrick to Mary

2 Earl's Court Square
S.W. 5.
(Still)

28th March 1935


Darling Mary Pleasant, 

I went to give my lecture at Paddington to-day but there was only one old woman sitting in the front row.  She had been there for three hours and was thought to be dead.  So I didn't lecture.  So far only one lecture out of six has been given and that to an audience of about four.

I went to the British Drama League to-day.  I looked to see if they had any interesting books on "Midsummer Night's Dream" that might help you, but they haven't.

I still haven't had an opportunity to change your token.  I took it to the "Worker's Bookshop" today but they could not do it.

It is rather nice having it in my pocket & Knowing that I can get a book whenever I want one.

Nothing startling has happened since last night.  No one has fallen out of any trains.

I am looking forward to Madame Reynaud's tomorrow.

I have just written and definitely asked Eileen if we can go there for the first two weeks of September.

Can you come back to No.2 after "Cornelius" and do a German lesson which I am sure you have been neglecting?  We might get some cakes and eat them here and boil up some tea on Lamb's ring.

This is the first fine evening I have had for ages.  So far I have written five letters.  I ought to write to Pauline too but I am fed up with being conversational on paper.

It was very nice sitting next to you at the Old Testament Lecture again.  It was ages since we had done it, because last time I was there you weren't.

I loved Miss Cross saying that the Reyneau girl had been broadened by doing the Old Testament.  It was because it can have been so true, and most people think of broadening towards the sort of attitude that that Marie already has, & narrowing towards the Bible.

Jack has just been in.  He is meeting Mrs Ormo here.

Sometimes as I walk through the streets I think idly to myself 'suppose anything happened to Mary, what sort of type should I marry faute de mieux' and study the various attractive-looking females going past.  Directly I look upon them as matrimonial alternatives to you all their superficial attractiveness shows up as completely hollow as far as I am concerned and  realise that the only other person who would do would be someone so exactly like you there there would be no difference.  Anyone else would bore me to bits.

Now I must go out and post these letters.

Goodnight, dear.

Your loving Terrick

No comments:

Post a Comment