Wednesday 24 June 2015

24th June 1935 - Mary to Terrick

Old Vicarage School
Richmond

June 24th '35


Dearest Terrick,

The boarders are all skipping round the back lawn in their bathing-costumes - and are now lying on top of each other to see how high a pile they can get without toppling over.  I am keeping watch over them for Hasty. P. who wishes to partake of a bath.  I have been to the baths twice today and feel like a squeezed towel - but my crawl is coming on.

I phoned Helen and she said she was really going out at 7.0. - but she could put him off until 8.0 as 'clients came first'! - you see I suddenly remembered that the children's tennis coach had promised to give Miss Olsson & myself a few hits tomorrow from 5-6 - so that means I can't get to Earl's Court until 6.30.  Anyway Helen will have finished with me by 8.0 - so I'll look in and see you somewhere about 8.15 (if that is convenient?)  I wouldn't mind another German lesson - unless it's too hot & I'm feeling fractious! - or perhaps you'll be too tired?  Still, I'll bring the book in case.

- Were you very late this morning? - Perhaps you'd better catch the 8.15 next time - as we're very erratic - but it's so much nicer having you up to the last minute.

It becomes more and more interesting to me to notice the way my feelings towards you undergo periodical - and fairly regular changes.  I can practically class them all under various titles now - but find it difficult to account for some of them.  I think a fair amount is due to the different conditions in which I see you.

I have written to Inge today to tell her we'll meet her in the car next Sunday.  I was wondering (as I continually do!) whether we couldn't spend the first week of August with Eileen - Inge goes home on Thursday, August 1st with a party of people who're also coming over on June 30th - so we could send her home and say I would go to her about the 9th until the end of August - but I suppose perhaps Eileen wouldn't want us them because of the African friend?  But it would be lovely if she was there at the same time?

But I expect this is all very hopeless & impractical - only your holiday without me seems such a waste - you see nothing's at its best when you're not there -

Mary   xxx


p.s. - I have just unstuck the envelope again because as I licked the stamp I thought of my last sentence.

I know I never say very much about all the work you do to try and get a better job - and make your income a presentable size - but I think of it  and I love to hear you plan and get excited about it - just because it fits in so well with my idea of you I suppose it's natural that your reason for doing things shouldn't appeal quite in the same way to me.  I love and admire your determination and enthusiasm - because of what it shows me of you - as well as having the thrill of knowing that something's being done for me 

- Perhaps it is here that a woman shows her love of dependence - so I'd better retract - 

But please believe that I love you for every inspiration you have - every job you write for - and every story you send off - because such driving force is beyond my ken and causes me to sit humbly on your blue carpet and gaze upwards with awe at the man I love.

Your Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment