Tuesday 21 April 2015

21st April 1935 - Terrick to Mary

HOTEL D'ALBION
25 BOULEVARD DUBOUCHAGE
NICE

Sunday Easter Day
Date forgotten.


Darling, 

I is absolutely impossible to describe this tour in a letter.  Never, never, never have I had more trouble, disagreeableness and work than just now.  We, the reps, are all worn out already from want of food & sleep.  The clients complain all the time.  Fortunately I have got two good hotels under me so the railway journey things haven't been quite so bloody for me.

Good Friday - the day we travelled from Boulogne (1.30am) to Nice (9.40pm) was the most awful day I have ever known.  The restaurant car company only put on one coach instead of two, so that instead of having 3 services for each meal we had to have six!  It was hell! We (Paul, Hawken & I) were nearly torn limb from limb by infuriated clients who had to wait hours for their food.

Last night we had an excursion to Monte Carlo.  for me, being used to driving it, it was perfectly straight-forward & easy  & my clients got there and back without difficulty, but just as I was leaving Monte Carlo with my people Hawken got in a fearful jamb through having lost a coach & I had to stay behind & help him.

I eventually didn't leave M.C. till 1.10 am (the official time for leaving was 11.30) and then when we got to Beaulieu we found a coach that had broken down & the clients were wandering about waiting for another to be brought out from Nice.  So I left my coach & waited with them.  I got back to the hotel at 2.05am.

So far you have no cause for jealousy.  There is a girl here who was a client of mine in Bruges at Easter 1932, & is now in my hotel, but she is not on my list & won't be.  Nearly all the reps have got off with some girl or other but have no time to take much advantage of it.  Paul has permission to do the same and so far has been too busy.

The Reception by the Mayor this morning was a scream.  He made a speech & the clients suddenly sang "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow".  Then directly it ended the Yorkshire party struck up "On Ilkley Moor Bar t'Hat".  Then the Mayor said Goodbye (after Hawken had made an inaudible speech ) and the clients sang "For Auld Lang Syne"!

Your letter bucked me up a bit to-day.  I am so tired that it is a job to keep awake.  Fortunately we are all still just able to see the joke.

All Love

Terrick

Too rushed & fagged to write a very nice letter.



No comments:

Post a Comment