Friday 23 June 2017

23rd June 1937 - letter to Terrick from his mother

Wensley Rectory
Leyburn
Yorkshire


Dearest Terrick

I have written your expenses.  I had a printed paper about it at Eileen's wedding but I have not got it now.  All expenses connected with the Chirch except what I have written down is ?? by the bride's people.  Mrs Ormiston must ask the verger for a list of expenses.  They vary in every church.  Choir & organist, carpets & awnings are optional but the Ormistons pay them.  I forgot the banns so I put them on the top.  Daddy says you must ask the clergyman's permission for your father to marry you & tell him the date if convenient & give Daddy his name & he will write to him also.  I can't do ??? now till the autumn as it takes about 2 months & I have to get the house ready for the tenants.  I have no H.P. maid at present.

I am making new curtains for my room .  Daddy thought of giving you a canteen of plate & Knives.  What shall I give you?  Would you like a silver teapot, cream & sugar basin or a dinner service or an armchair, or anything you can think of.  

Mr White is going to Kirklington & Mr Campbell of Hardraw is going to Nice!!  The Bishop can't get anyone for Middleham.  Daddy is the rural Dean which means we have got to remain here & I counted on leaving in Sept.  Vera is somewhere on the sea but I don't know where.  Eileen's letters are sad reading, nothing but rows.  I hope Renny will make a good match & please me.  It must be Lord Duffield who has given Baldwin all that money.  A unique gift!  Will Aunt Mildred be in Harrogate when you marry.  I hope Mary wears her best dress for polo.  Funny about the FtizHugh who applied for a job!

Your loving mother.

Perhaps someone else is giving you a dinner service.



Banns 2/6 but it varies

Bridegroom's expenses

Fee to Vicar whether Daddy marries you or not about 1 guinea
Tips after wedding
Presents to bridesmaids & bouquets if they have them
Bouquets to bride's and bridegroom's mothers (I won't have one)
Your own car to Chruch & you go away in it afterwards
Buttonhole for yourself & best man.



No comments:

Post a Comment