Friday 16 June 2017

16th June 1937 - Terrick to Mary

35 Nevern Place
S.W. 5

16th June 1937

Dearest, 

I have been working again on Sydney & Co & have got the statistics up to date.  As soon as I can get some typing paper - Friday - I'll set it all out and put it in on Tuesday.

My losing that case in the bus cost me a pretty penny in a broke week, nearly five shillings in shaves & bus fares & fee.  A damn nuisance, but my own fault.

If it rains tomorrow evening let's come back here, shall we.  In any case, unless it is pouring before 6 p.m., when I'll ring up, we'll meet in the park.

My new Left Books have come: "The Post-War History of the British Working Class", "Changing Man" and two plays: "Six Men of Dorset (about the Tolpuddle Martyrs) and "Waiting for Lefty" with Miss Cross's present, I shall be well behind in reading them.  I haven't finished "The Textbook of Marxist Philosophy" yet.

I looked up details about slavery in England.  I haven't been able to find the date when it finally stopped though I was certainly a few years out.  There were 15,000 negro slaves in Gt. Britain in 1770.  A test legal case declared against slavery in 1771 but it was a flourishing trade in London and Liverpool and did not die out immediately.  Still Jack's 150 years (I am not sure if that was his figure) before 1838 is a long way out.  I believe I said 15.

I have got a booklet on Baveno filled with photographs.  It looks lovely.  I am not writing to Sims as I find that certain special rate Italian coupons cannot be beaten for price because they entitle one to 50% reduction on the Maggiore lake steamers, reductions in rail fares & entrances to art galleries etc.

O, my darling, I am so looking forward to it all.  First and foremost and swamping all the rest I am looking forward to being married to you.  But inspite of the insignificance besides this, there are two other things that are enough to excite me alone each of them.  One is the finishing and decorating of a flat with your help, and the second is visiting the Italian Lakes with you.  I could let out a shout of anticipation of all that life holds out to me!

I shall see you tomorrow (at 7.15), & the next day (at 7.15) and the next day, and the next and the next!  Life is perfect.

Mary, I love you.

I wish you were here.

Terrick
XXX

Did you write to Carlton?

No comments:

Post a Comment