Tuesday 16 February 2016

16th February 1936 - Terrick to Mary

Wensley Rectory
Leyburn
Yorks.

16th February 1936


My Dearest One,

How are you? What a perfect weekend it would be to be with you.  The sun is shining here and the sky is bright blue from horizon to horizon.

My train gets to King's Cross tomorrow at 9.25pm.  If I miss that I catch the one arriving at 9.55.  I'll just expect you if I see you, because it will be rather late for you I expect.

The two Reunions went off well especially the Bradford one which was about the best provincial one we have had yet.  After seeing all the others off to London by train I took a bus from Bradford to Harrogate and arrived at Boots, by the war memorial, at quarter to one to find the car waiting there.  We three had a slap-up lunch at the Majestic just opposite Southlands, and then went to see "The Passing of the Third Floor Back", which was very interesting.

I shall post this letter when we go to church; there is a Sunday collection now.

It is very nice to be home - but you know how I feel.  It is just the same: restful "dignified"(!) etc, but the parents will talk what they imagine to be politics - because it deals with royalties.

How did your mother go off?  Did she write from the boat before it left?

Did you get the Valentine telegram, and was it in a gold envelope, on a decorated form as they said?  I bet the post office people when they read it thought I must be suffering from shell-shock.  Was it brought to you in the middle of class?

We must go to church now, so I must stop.  As I have been writing I have been carrying on a conversation with Mummy, or this would have been twice as long.

Goodbye dear, I love you very, very much.

Terrick  XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment