Sunday 27 December 2015

27th December 1935 - Terrick to Mary

Wensley Rectory
Leyburn
Yorks

27th December 1935


My Darling,

Your presents were wonderful; thank you very, very much for them:  I include the gloves.  But, darling, you are far to generous!

The pullover has been well approved.  It looks very nice with my O.A. tie.  I wore them all Christmas day and have worn the tie ever since, though it is too warm for the pullover now that the snow is all gone.

It is very nice being here, but I couldn't stand it for long.  On Christmas Day sitting down to meals in the dining-room with family portraits on the wall, silver forks that the family have used since George III, and an air of spaciousness, I felt: here is peace & dignity; this is how life should be lived; but listening to the parents talking repels me; and I realise that either their outlook is the result of this peace & dignity or vice versa.  I much prefer the mental spaciousness of my little room to the physical spaciousness of Wensley Rectory.  A peaceful life is a bad thing, and comfort a vice.  At any rate the resulting stagnation here is pitiable.

Tonight I am going to a Conservative (!) Ball at Ripon as Penelope Cook-Yarborough's partner.  Several people from round here are going so it ought to be good fun.

In market at Leyburn this morning I met a lot of old friends including Ruby and her husband & Betty Topham, the girl who was married up here the same day as Eileen.  She has a son now.

Tomorrow we shall probably go into Darlington to see "Anna Karenina", & to look for a Between-maid.  We have been stuck without one over Xmas.

My father managed to drive the car into Leyburn this morning, but he has his arm in plaster of Paris and can't do much with it.  Renny held the plate of wafers for him at the Communion services on Sunday.

Several times I have tried to remember a piece of poetry that I wanted to say to you, but could never manage it.  I have found it now; here it is:

Last night my cheek was wetted with warm tears, 
Each worth a world. They fell from eyes divine 
Last night a loving lip was pressed to mine, 
And at its touch fled all the barren years; 
And softly couched upon a bosom white, 
Which came and went beneath me like a sea, 
An emperor I lay in empire bright, 
Lord of the beating heart, while tenderly 
Love-words were glutting my love-greedy ears 
Kind Love, I thank thee for that happy night! 
Richer this cheek with those warm tears of thine 
Than the vast midnight with its gleaming spheres. 
Leander toiling through the midnight brine, 
Kingdomless Antony, were scarce my peers.

It is by Alexander Smith.  I am very fond of it, particularly now, because it reminds me of you.

I have thought of you all the time this Christmas & wished you were here.  I do hope you are having a jolly time among your turbulent family.

Renny and I leave Harrogate at 6.10p.m. and arrive at King's Cross at 10.45 on Sunday evening, so I'm afraid it will be too late for you to come up.  I'll ring you up on Monday night.

Goodbye, Sweetheart, for the present.  It seems ages since I have seen you, but we'll soon make up for it.  You'll come to dinner at 35 on the 31st, won't you.

Mummy and Renny have both queried the spelling of "appalling" at the same moment, though they are each writing separate "thanking" letters.

They want me to write to Aunt Aggie before the post goes, so I'll have to stop now.

All my heart, darling;

Your

Terrick

       XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment