Wednesday 8 January 2014

8th January 1934 - Terrick to Mary

186 Haverstock Hill
Hampstead
In case you forget

8th January 1934

Dear Mary Pleasant, 

The baby wasn't all it was cracked up to be.  Still, it was a good healthy specimen, and called me "Uncle Telewick."

Your writing didn't deceive me this time, though it was even less like your ordinary than the other.

I didn't refuse to come to the Old Girls' Dance because I didn't expect to enjoy it, but because I felt snorty at only being asked when someone else had failed.

______________________

Here I got up to phone Eileen, and spoke to you.  It was nice to hear your voice again.  It sounds beautifully "cushiony" over the phone.
_______________________

My cold is a lot better.  I am having a peaceable week until Friday.

Just spoken to Eileen.  She told me Mummy had not been well so I rang her up too.  She has had a weak heart these last few years and ought not to go rushing around.

Eileen suggested another dance for Thursday!  A parochial one in Forest Hill that we used to go to when we lived in South London, but I did not feel very keen on dancing three nights running, with you at only one of them, and she was not particularly struck on going either.

Although it is not a strikingly new remark from me I must say that I think it's a great life.  Some poet or other once said that the man who had been happy was forever unconquerable or words to that effect.  And when I am eighty I think no amount of disappointments, misfortunes or disgrace will ever erase my twenties and particularly my twenty-six from my mind; and even if my middle-age is one blaze of glory I don't think it will out-dazzle the brightness and freshness of being twenty-six and poor and in love with you.

However - and, be that as it may.

I thought my compliments would make you take notice, but I didn't think they would be incredible.  still I like a responsive audience.

I am writing awful rubbish.  You won't like this letter.  I hope I see you tomorrow.

Love

Terrick
        XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment