Thursday 23 February 2017

23rd February 1937 - Terrick to Mary

35 Nevern Place
S.W.5

23rd February 1937


Dearest Girl, 

How I am looking forward to tomorrow!  It seems longer than usual since I last saw you, perhaps only because I have been so busy.

This morning a letter arrived from the Enquiry Office of Imperial Airways, the man Monk had told me to write to, a silly letter saying they had no vacancy at my salary but he could offer me a job in the Enquiry Dept at £3 a week.  Would I ring him if I was interested?  So in the lunch hour I went down and saw him.  Apparently Monk was correct in all the information he gave me except that the Enquiry Officer was the man to write to.  The E.O. only dealt with jobs in his own section - in which Monk himself was.  I told the E.O. his job was no good to me, and that I was only interested in the more highly paid jobs which I understood were abroad.  He confirmed this and said that the Staff Dept dealt with those jobs but he would get them to send me full particulars.  So that is how thing stand - pretty much as before.  He said that the people in the jobs I want are mostly "Director's pups" and that there is great competition for the jobs.  So I'll get a list of the directors and send it home for the old folks to see if they know any of them directly or indirectly.

I have got you a copy of the Leeds Mercury of 18th April last.  Quite a good photo.  Daddy was in the Daily Mirror yesterday for reviving a 110 year old custom of a dinner where anyone who talks shop is fined 2/6, at a certain inn & at a certain time.  He has invited one guest, the Bishop of Ripon, who has accepted.  Crackers!

This evening I worked till after eight, but I'll get away early tomorrow.  Come round at about 6.15pm not before.  I have a copy of the Leeds Mercury.

This is my last sheet of notepaper so I'll go onto this.

Renny has got a photograph of Evelyn which you must see.  She looks very beautiful in it, but it takes all the character out of her face.  Yesterday evening I spent helping with his German.

I wanted to have the different parts of the Albert Hall marked with the national flags but I find that the only official German flag now is the Crooked Cross (Swastika) and that was a bit too much even for the right wingers in the firm, so I have dropped the idea.  At Mr May's request I am doing my best to get von Ribbentrop to come, but it goes against the grain.  He is at the Leipzig Fair at the moment and may not be back in time.

All tomorrow I shall have the relieving feeling in the middle of my hurly burly of work that I am going to meet you at the end of it.  It will be like the pillar of smoke in the wilderness.  It is almost a pity to think that one day it will become an everyday matter.

Goodnight, my dear one

Terrick

       XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment