Sunday 19 February 2017

18th February 1937 - Mary to Terrick

O.V.S.
Thursday

My darling - as I never get a letter from you now I presume it's because you don't get enough from me - so I thought I'd write one to hold over your head until I can come down to breakfast one blissful & heaven-sent morning to find the nicest looking envelope on my plate.  Although I'm afraid it would cause many ribald remarks from the assembled crowd - as it's honestly time - the only single letter I've had this term has been from the Postmaster General!

I have just come back from our last rehearsal which went fairly well - time is the only real worry as we can only allow 10 secs. for each change of scene!!  Mrs Sunley (senior) says she hopes to meet you at last on Saturday (I expect their seats are somewhere near ours).  We play first (which is really quite nice if you think about it - in case we had a comedy before us) so I shall have to be there about 6.30 and shall be able to come down to my seat directly afterwards.  Mummy won't be able to come - she is better but still in bed.  Can we spend a nice afternoon together?  We needn't do anything special.  It's a pity we couldn't have looked for a flat - it would have been such a good opportunity!  I wonder if you will have heard from Imperial Airways - I have been thinking about it a lot.  probably because every breath I have breathed for the last four or five weeks has been a plan for getting married this April (quite groundless - I grant you!) - and now the chance that I might have to dust everything and put it safely away in some deep corner for another year (not only material things - which are more easily disposed of - but hopes and fears and aches - and plans for ways and means of living) - has snapped me off, and I'm left a bit rudderless since yesterday.  My new pillowcases don't look quite so exciting - and my underclothes tend to mock me as I work.

But I assure you this is but the feeling of a day.  It would be a wonderful, wonderful thing for you to be somewhere where you could really feel it was worth while working on - where people would really appreciate what you can do. - and so that you could make a wonderful lot of all the money you despise so much - and retire and write books and live in a flat roofed house with a cat and three sons and a daughter and your name would go down to posterity - and I should love you and see that you had everything you wanted always without worrying you - so that you could think of things.  (This is rather a long sentence - but you can understand it if you try)

- There are times ahead of us we dream not of - which will exceed any time we have lived so far - because we shall be together - and I don't mind for myself one bit if I'm rich or poor as long as you're there.

"It's better to travel hopefully than to arrive" come from "Virginibus Puerisque (?)"

Kathleen Hayes & her mother saw you three walking down Shaftesbury Avenue on Tuesday simply roaring with laughter!!

It is now 11.15p.m. and I can't keep awake - I hope Bradford went well - you might make a mighty effort and either phone before 8p.m. or write tomorrow - just so that I know you're back safely - & think what we can do on Saturday.  We needn't spend any money.  I get off at 1p.m.

All my love 

Mary Pleasant

P.S. What about the Seagull Guides if you get an offer from I.A.?

No comments:

Post a Comment