Thursday 15 December 2016

15th December 1936 - Mary to Terrick

O.V.S.
Tuesday 7.45


My dearest, dearest dear - I have just caught sight of my ancient writing pad lying dusty and disused on top of the cupboard & it reminded me of what a very long time it is since I last wrote to you - I'm afraid your average receipt of letters from me this year will be down on last - but I suppose there won't be such a drop as there will be next year.  There are two books I want to give you very badly for Christmas - but I'm not quite sure of one - & it would be such a waste if you didn't like it.  I shall post all your presents separately to make it more exciting.

I love you very much this evening or else I shouldn't be being so silly as to put all the most pressing work on one side and write all about nothing to you.

I feel frightfully worn out this evening - Heaven knows why, as I haven't done much today.  But I'm a bit fed up with the term - especially when I think what a tremendous lot has to be done in the next four days.  Monday will be frightful with 2 parties on top of each other - Miss Paterson & myself organising the first - and Miss Olsson & me organising the second.  I wish I could catch flu.  They say your bathing wrap will be much to gaudy - but I don't agree - I'm going to wear it over Jack's blue pyjama trousers too - if the pictures you've got show trousers & tunics.  Don't forget to show them to me tomorrow - will you?

- When will you know about your Christmas bonus? - Christmas eve, I suppose.  I wish Miss Cross would deal out a few too.

Hoch told me I was good at rehearsal last night  about the first word of praise anybody's had since we started.  Kathleen says they're going to start casting for "Twelfth Night" in January - & Mrs Eriksen says K. stands a good chance for Viola - but there are such a lot of new magnificent women in the society, that I'm afraid there won't be much hope for me - I'd love to play Olivia - but I might not have time for rehearsals.

- I love you with all my heart - & more & more each day - Thank goodness I'm seeing you tomorrow.

Your 

Mary   xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment