Tuesday 1 November 2016

1st November 1936 - Terrick to Mary

33 Nevern Place
S.W.5

1st November 1936


My Darling, 

Are you frozen to death?  I feel a bit anxious for you because I'm sure the cottage can't be warm in such weather as this.  I'd much rather you were within thick walls.  Still it is fine today, whereas yesterday, in town, was appalling.

I was at the Museum from 10am till 6pm writing hard with about 40 minutes off for lunch.  In the evening I sat & talked to Renny who came up to see me.  This morning he and I went to the Junior Constitutional Club which Renny is thinking of joining.  We got particulars & then the man asked us if we should like to see over the club.  We said 'yes' and he sent a boy to find the manager.  When he came he turned out to be Mr Churchman, the late owner of the Hotel Bellevue at Mentone, whom of course I knew well.  It is a very large place, dignified but dull.  The place is full of statues of Disraeli.

This afternoon & evening until supper time I wrote all the time.  After supper I started again but Renny asked me to come and sit in his room (hence the address at the top of this letter), so as I wanted to write to you and home I brought my writing things and did so.

Just after I started this letter Mrs Griffiths came to say that there was a Mr Muir to see me.  He is a fellow who was in the Poly this season, but who wanted to go into the Church.  When I got to the hall of No 35 I was astonished to see him in black cassock with cape and prayer book & two white tails at his throat.  He is at an Anglican theo. collage.  We sat in my room and talked for about an hour.  As we went down Mrs Nutt, the ever-curious, opened her door and asked me to post a letter for her.  I handed it to Muir and when she saw him her eyes nearly popped out of her head.

Can I come to your rehearsal on Tuesday?  That would be much better than asking for an afternoon off, and I shouldn't have to wait so long.  Let me know when you ring me up on Monday after you get home.

I have missed you!  It is absolutely necessary to me to see you at least twice a week, preferably though every day.  You are to me like insulin to a diabetic, unless I see you regularly and often I get restless and unconcentrating from thinking of you.  let me know where to meet you on Tuesday.

Goodnight, dear.  I do hope you get this letter before your leave the cottage tomorrow.  Don't catch cold.

All I have

Terrick

No comments:

Post a Comment