Wednesday 5 April 2017

5th April 1937 - Mary to Terrick

Dunally

April 5th '37

Dearest One - it's the most perfect thing to feel as close to anybody as I do to you.  As each day goes by more & more do I feel that we're wasting time - everything would be worth twice it's present value if we were together.  Every two minutes I want to look up and say "Terrick" and for you to say "Yes?" - and then to ask you the hundred & one things that nobody else would know the answer to.

This isn't "love" - it's just "incompleteness" - you can understand people getting fat with contentment when they suddenly find the empty places of their souls filled up - the smallness of their minds absorbed in something greater and their bodies made whole.  it's a state of idealism which I am sure could so easily drug it's addicts and blind them to it's possibilities.  I have go to remember so consistently, darling, that life can't be lived by running my fingers through your hair or polishing your shoes.  It's very difficult for womankind to keep any part of herself her own - since her whole instinct is to merge everything with a being stronger than herself where it becomes swallowed up.  Perhaps in the majority of cases it's only a passing phase - & the trouble starts when she tries to emerge.  You'll keep me bright & sane, darling won't you? - I'm not always a fool - and I feel that under a nice, steady platonic, dispassionate guiding influence, I might even aspire to intelligence!

I don't now whether any of this is sense - I never do - but there's something I want to say behind it all - and it helps to try.

I have written to your father and asked him about my photographs - have you written to your mother about the rug? - I see it measures (?)7" x 54" so it's quite a good size.

I can have the car tomorrow so I'll be outside the office at 1.30 if that's O.K. with you & we'll go straight off to Bowman's.  Then I'll find something to do in the afternoon & meet you at 6.

After that I don't care what we do - wander round the Marble Arch holding hands if you like - I love you so so much that a good dose of sitting and just looking at you would suit me nicely - and be awfully cheap!

- My dearest dear - noone knows how tremendously lucky I am -

Your 

Mary Pleasant


No comments:

Post a Comment